- About Us
Your Trusted Local Home Care Provider
Eating a healthy, well-balanced diet is important for senior health, yet many older adults miss out on key nutrients because they have trouble grocery shopping. If you have trouble getting to and from the grocery store or simply don’t know what foods you should be purchasing, worry not. Here are tips from the trusted caregivers at Home Care Assistance of Redondo Beach that can ease some of your anxieties about going grocery shopping, while ensuring you make the most out of your trip.
1. Assess your budget. If you have a tight budget, it’s important to decide ahead of time what you are able to comfortably spend on groceries. This can help you determine which foods are essential, and which foods can be purchased on occasion, helping to make sure you get the right foods to meet nutritional needs and provide fuel and energy for the day.
2. Familiarize yourself with your local grocer. Larger grocery store chains can sometimes be overwhelming for seniors and older adults, so look at all of your local options and see which stores have the most convenient layout, the friendliest staff members, and fair prices. A comfortable environment is going to be the easiest and best to navigate.
3. Find reliable transportation. Change in eyesight, hearing, and reaction rate are just a few things that can make driving dangerous for a senior adult. If you are concerned about getting to and from the grocery store safely, look at local services like hourly care in Redondo Beach, where a friendly caregiver can drive and accompany you to your preferred grocery store.
4. Enhance your eyesight. It can be difficult to read nutritional labels and find products that meet dietary requirements if you are living with some level of vision loss. If you wear eyeglasses, always make sure to bring these along, and don’t be afraid to bring a magnifying glass with you. A little bit of help can go a long way!
5. Call Home Care Assistance – Home Care Assistance of Redondo Beach, CA is a local home care provider, proudly serving seniors in the South Bay. Our experienced and compassionate caregivers can provide transportation, help seniors pick out healthy foods, carry groceries, and can even help with meal preparation and other tasks at home.
If you have recently been put on a new medication, or have changed medications, always check with your doctor to be sure the foods you’re buying aren’t going to cause an adverse reaction with their ingredients. If you are living with a health condition, also confirm that your diet will not exacerbate any symptoms.
To get help with grocery shopping or other daily tasks, either in or out of the home, call Home Care Assistance of Redondo Beach at 310-504-0506 and speak with a Care Manager.