When it comes to dining out on Mother’s Day, make sure the day goes off without a hitch by making the appropriate plans ahead of time. Of course you’ll want to make a reservation at your mom’s favorite restaurant, however there are other considerations that are important to keep in mind, especially if mom has specific health issues.
To help make sure that your Mother’s Day celebration is one to remember, Home Care Assistance, a trusted Redondo Beach home care agency, offers the following tips:
- Keep Her Daily Schedule in Mind – Mom may be accustomed to eating breakfast, lunch and dinner and certain times. In some cases, meals are enjoyed during specific times of the day because of personal preference, while in others, it may be to ensure accordance with a strict medication schedule. Try not to stray too far from mom’s regular routine to ensure comfort.
- Review the Restaurant – You never really realize that a restaurant is difficult to navigate until you’re literally squeezing through aisle ways to get to your table. Before you make a final decision on the restaurant, consider parking, how accessible the restaurant is, the ambiance and noise level. Going out can be an overwhelming event for your aging loved one and it’s important to consider these things to maximize comfort during the meal.
- Make Restaurant Requests Ahead of Time – Most restaurants do their best to accommodate individual requests. On a busy day like Mother’s Day, however, it’s best to make any special requests prior to the reservation. For example, your loved one may need extra space at the table for a wheelchair or would prefer to be seated at a booth for extra comfort.
- Keep Her in the Loop – While a surprise party can be nice, it’s often better to keep your loved one in the loop. Let her know when and where the event will be taking place and offer transportation options so she won’t worry about getting to and from the event safely. If you are unable to pick her up yourself, consider an hourly caregiver in Redondo Beach who can also help her get ready and ensure a safe ride home.
- Bring Your Own Dessert – One of the best parts about dining out is dessert! Unfortunately, many restaurant desserts are packed with sugar and may not fit in with mom’s diet plan, especially if she is a diabetic. Consider brining your own dessert, or a more healthy alternative, so that mom can still indulge a bit and enjoy herself on her special day.
With a little planning, it’s easy to give mom the day she deserves. If you’re interested in learning more about how to support mom as she enters her golden years, request a complimentary, no-obligation consultation with Home Care Assistance of Redondo Beach. While we’re recognized as the Redondo Beach live-in care experts, we also provide flexible hourly care for seniors in the local community and throughout the South Bay. Call us at 310-504-0506 – we’re here to help 24/7.